October is National Disability Employment Awareness Month and Disability History Month in Missouri
National Disability Employment Awareness Month (NDEAM)
The United States Department of Labor’s theme for 2018 is America's Workforce: Empowering All. More about this year's theme and other information can be found here: National Disability Employment Awareness Month News Release Observed each October, NDEAM celebrates the contributions of workers with disabilities and educates about the value of a workforce inclusive of their skills and talents.
Disability History Month
In May 2011, the Missouri legislature passed House Bill 555, which authorizes school boards to require the provision of disability history and awareness instruction in public schools during the month of October of each year. House Bill 555 further designated the month of October to be “Disability History and Awareness Month”.
To learn more about disability history and find great resources on how to promote and celebrate Disability History Month, download the Disability History and Awareness: A Resource Guide for Missouri or visit disability.mo.gov and click on Educational Resources.
The Governor’s Council on Disability is proud to participate in celebrating National Disability Employment Awareness Month and Disability History Month:
- Governor Mike Parson has issued a proclamation recognizing National Disability Employment Awareness Month.
- Governor Mike Parson issued a proclamation recognizing October as Disability History Month in Missouri
- The Governor’s Council on Disability features an exhibit about National Disability Employment Awareness Month and Disability History Month in the Truman State Office Building in Jefferson City throughout the month of October
- The Governor’s Council on Disability participates in Transition Summits for students with disabilities
- The Governor’s Council on Disability calls for nominations to recognize individuals and organizations that exemplify inclusion of individuals with disabilities in the workplace and all aspects of life. Awards are presented annually in the categories of Inclusion, Youth Leadership, and Website/IT