National Disability Employment Awareness Month (NDEAM)
The Governor’s Council on Disability celebrates October as National Disability Employment Awareness Month (NDEAM) with this virtual display, providing information and resources to raise awareness about the importance of workplace inclusion of people with disabilities.
Please join us by recognizing the importance of the contributions of people with disabilities to the workforce, and learning about disability history and awareness.
2022 NDEAM Theme: Disability: Part of the Equity Equation
The theme for NDEAM 2022, "Disability: Part of the Equity Equation," recognizes the vital role people with disabilities play in making the nation's workforce diverse and inclusive.
Background and History of NDEAM:
- National Disability Employment Awareness Month celebrates the ingenuity people with disabilities bring to America's workplaces.” Each October, NDEAM celebrates America's workers with disabilities and reminds employers of the importance of inclusive hiring practices.
- U.S. Department of Labor announces 2022 NDEAM theme – News release
- Disability History: An Important Part of America’s History
- Disability & Employment: A Timeline Commemorating 30 years of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Missouri celebrates NDEAM:
- Accessibility Guide: A toolkit for accessible communications in the workplace (public use)
- Accessibility Guide: A toolkit for accessible communications in the workplace (state government use)
- Governor’s proclamation designating the month of October 2022 as Disability Employment Awareness Month in Missouri
- Governor’s proclamation designating the month of October 2022 as Disability History Month in Missouri
- Missouri as a Model Employer initiative
- GCD Poster Contest celebrating NDEAM
- Educational presentations about disability awareness and employment of people with disabilities. For more information or to schedule a presentation, please contact email@example.com
- Disability History and Awareness – A Resource Guide for Missouri
- Providing mentoring opportunities for people with disabilities at annual Missouri Youth Leadership Forum, Virtual Leadership Summit and Leadership Development Program for Deaf/Hard of Hearing
- Disability Awareness and People First Language tips
- Social Media posts to raise awareness about NDEAM and promote inclusion of people with disabilities in the workforce. Follow GCD on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MissouriGCD/ and Twitter at https://twitter.com/MOGCD
- GCD Newsletter, October 2022, highlighting NDEAM
Ideas to celebrate NDEAM:
- 31 days of NDEAM – What can you do?
- Ideas for employers and employees
Employment Resources for Missourians with disabilities:
- Missouri Department of Higher Education and Workforce Development
- Fast Track Workforce Incentive Grant
- Missouri Job Centers - https://jobs.mo.gov/
- Missouri Department of Mental Health – Employment Services
- Missouri Department of Social Services – Rehab Services for the Blind
- Missouri Registered Apprenticeships
- Missouri Vocational Rehabilitation (VR)
- VR100 Celebrating 100 years of Vocational Rehabilitation 1920 – 2020
- Missouri SkillUp Program
- Governor’s Council on Disability – https://disability.mo.gov/gcd
- EARN: Employers Assistance and Resource Network – https://askearn.org
- JAN: Job Accommodation Network – https://askjan.org
- Job Accommodation Network – Workplace Accommodation Toolkit - https://askjan.org/toolkit/
- Employer Success Stories - https://askearn.org/resources/employer-success-stories/
- Missouri Assistive Technology – https://at.mo.gov
- Great Plains ADA Center - https://www.gpadacenter.org/
Public Service Announcement Campaigns:
Please visit this website for downloadable versions of the Campaign for Disability Employment’s television PSAs:
- Mental Health at Work: What Can I Do?
- I Can
- Who I Am
- Working Works